Wednesday, January 27, 2010

emac 2322 Forty Minutes of Silence

No cell phone. No music. No internet. No talking. No distractions. This is how we were told to read "The Great Seduction" by Andrew Keen. I had 40 minutes to read chapter 1 and I've got to say it was much easier than I expected. Here are some advantages and disadvantages I came up about my experience reading without interruption for forty minutes.

Advantages

* One focus
(it was nice to be forced to shut everything off)
* the time limit
(I knew I would only read for forty minutes and
then be done whether I finished the chapter or
not so I didn't feel bogged down with the length.)
* Faster
(I was able to read through the whole thing and
faster than I normally do.)

Disadvantages

* Outside Noises
(Although I shut off all distractions in my
room, there were still noises outside such
as cars and loud people but these were minimal
distractions.)
* Not really any...

I really enjoyed reading in this style. I was surprised by how much faster I read through it and didn't get bored or distracted because there was nothing to distract me!

3 comments:

  1. The bullet points work well in this post because you are trying to compare and contrast two lists of information. Good format idea. In some posts, this might not work, but I think it is effective here. Also, as I mentioned in class, great opening with the short phrases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rachel's comments, but you left me wondering: What is your normal way of reading? What would you have done if this was not an assignment? Do you read with the TV going, with your cellphone handy? And, just as important, will you return to this form of attention/concentration or go back to "old habits"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael: Thank You :)

    dlangendorf: Normally when I read there is some sort of distraction varying from background music to the TV being on. I think in the future I will try this silent method when I need to truly soak in material but go back to my "old habits" when I'm just reading for fun.

    ReplyDelete